The Role: Junior Legal Counsel
Type: Full time/Permanent
Location: WorkPal Head Office, 145-149 Donegall Pass, Belfast, BT7 1DT
Hours: 39.5 per week
As Northern Ireland’s largest independent telecommunications provider, Barclay Communications is a recognised leader and expert in the business mobile, landline and IT arena. We have over 20 years’ experience in the telecommunications industry, providing organisations with reliable, innovate and cost-effective solutions that help our clients to improve their organisational efficiency.
Headquartered in Belfast, we are currently serving over 11,000 customers and almost 65,000 connections across the UK and Ireland. And we have very ambitious plans to expand further our range of products and services across the UK and Ireland – and internationally. We pride ourselves on our dedicated services and commitment to customer satisfaction.
What you will do
We are building a first class in house legal team to guide and support our business operations across the UK and Ireland. We are now looking for an energetic, ambitious, entrepreneurial lawyer to join us as legal counsel.
Based in Belfast and reporting to the Managing Director and the Head of Legal, you will be a proactive commercial lawyer with significant potential, dedication, and the ability to embrace real responsibilities that affect the business.
You will assist the Head of Legal with general responsibility for legal and regulatory issues which impact all aspects of the business, to include:
- Acting as a trusted legal adviser to colleagues throughout the business at various levels of seniority.
- Confidence in making difficult decisions under time pressure and willing to get off the fence in advising the business on an appropriate way forward.
- Building and maintaining excellent relationships, both internally and externally.
- Dealing with corporate governance issues and proactively mitigating risk.
- Instructing and efficient management of external law firms and counsel, ensuring control of performance and budgets.
- Managing disputes and debt recovery for the business, either direct or through external law firms and/or counsel.
- Overseeing and managing the progress of High Court, county court, and arbitration proceedings to which the business is party, either direct or through external law firms and/or counsel.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts relating to customers, suppliers, and third parties engaging with the business.
- Delivering technically accurate and pragmatic legal advice the business across all functions, focusing on the commercial impact of legal and regulatory issues by weighing the commercial gains versus the legal risks involved.
- Assisting with corporate legal issues, Companies Act compliance, corporate acquisitions and related due diligence, contract negotiation, through to completion and associated deliverables.
- Advising on and assisting with procurement matters and tenders.
- Advising on GDPR and Data Protection Act regulation and compliance.
- Advising on and protecting the business’ reputational interests and IP rights.
- Creating and maintaining precedent documents to assist the legal team and other business functions.
- Keeping up to date with CPD in respect of the legal matters and in respect of the telecoms and tech industries in terms of the products and services provided by the business.
What we’re looking for
This role is an excellent first move for a junior to mid level lawyer seeking to progress their in-house career. Don’t worry, we don’t expect you to know or have experience of everything set out above. You’ll be working under the supervision of a highly experienced and senior commercial lawyer, who will help you develop your skills and knowledge. What we want is someone with the ability, potential, and ambition to become an excellent all round commercial lawyer.
We would like to see as a minimum:
- Ideally 3 to 5 years’ PQE in a commercial environment
- Northern Ireland qualified solicitor or barrister
- Commercial contracts experience
- Experience of dispute resolution, High Court and county court litigation, and other forms of ADR
- Initiative and the ability to manage own workload through planning and prioritisation
- Business acumen with the ability to recognise the commercial impact of legal issues on the organisation
- Experience in developing plans and business cases including cost/benefit analysis
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Uncompromising attention to detail and high standards of documentation production
- Integrity of the highest level
- Fully proficient in standard Microsoft Office/Google Docs applications
What we’re offering
- Full time permanent position
- Market leading salary and benefits
- 28 days annual holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Career progression opportunities
- Continuous training
- Internal company incentives