The ISDN standard was set in the late 1980s.
During this era:
- The world wide web was just being invented
- Mobile telephony was just finding its feet – and still analogue
- Urgent business documents were often sent by fax
Since the launch of ISDN, many changes have taken place in the business world:
- Remote working, flexible working and hot-desking have exploded
- Many employees use both mobile and fixed line telephony services during the workday
- There has been increased focus on service, efficiency, business continuity and disaster recovery
- IP-based services are commonly used by many organisations
Businesses are now considering an ISDN upgrade to newer technology that is a better fit for purpose. Here’s a comparison between ISDN and VoIP:
- Lacks the agility needed to meet the needs of today’s fast-moving consumers
- Management of multiple offices can be time consuming, maintaining consistency of service across office id often difficult
- Scalability is slow and expensive
- Often requires substantial CAPEX investment
- Disaster recovery is slow
- Can’t be combined with modern technologies like Ethernet to enhance voice services
- BT has announced end of life for ISDN by 2025
- Improves service features for greater gains
- Increased flexibility to meet the changing needs of your workforce
- Improved scalability to help drive business growth
- Enhanced quality of services for customers
- Improved resilience with built-in disaster recovery provisions
- Reduced cost with significant savings to be made on call costs and line rental
- Increased visibility of performance metrics to improve productivity and overall business performance
ISDN End Of Life Timeline
What are the next steps?
- Carry out an audit of your telecoms system – when was the last time you looked to upgrade?
- Find out how much your ISDN lines and on-site PBX system is costing you – how much could you save?
- How resilient is your existing telecoms provision – how would prolonged downtime affect your business?
Thinking of an ISDN Upgrade?
Complete the form below and our team will get in touch with you